Isnt this a lovely looking french provincial dresser. I drove a ways to pick her up from a slightly odd man. It was dark and dreary in the room, so I was happy to get out of there quickly.
When I got home, I learned a valuable lesson. Don’t let odd men in dingy dark settings deter you from really ‘checking out’ the piece. Because it wasn’t until I got this beast home that I realized it was….eeek…laminate.
Now don’t get me wrong, I have painted laminate in the past, and I will paint it again no doubt, but I certainly avoid it unless the dresser is either free, or a super-duper steal. This thing was neither of those. I didn’t overpay, but I don’t think I would have handed over that much had I known it was laminate. So lesson learnt! Always check for presence of laminate.
Anyways, onto the fun stuff. I sanded (lightly) and made sure not to go through to the MDF. I primed with a good adhesion primer which I tinted to a similar colour as my top coat.
When I came back a couple of hours later I realized I had left the garage door open, and apparently someone had stopped in for a visit because there were some strange markings in the finish.
I was able to apprehend the culprit pretty quickly though. Blue paws tell no lies.
After priming, I did two coats of a colour I custom mixed. I was inspired by a piece by Estuary Designs and wanted to mix up a similar colour. In real life she is more teal-green, my camera favours the blue tones and I can't quite capture the colour accurately.
I gave the hardware a subtle spritz with some gold spray paint just to refresh them a tad.
And here is the before. Looks like real wood, or at least wood veneer, doesn't it!