Speaking of top coats, I used a new technique on this piece, which I must say, is an absolutely stunning piece of furniture! It is so grand, and was surprisingly manufactured right here in my very own city. It stands at 36" tall and is 20" deep. Most of my 9 drawers stand at 36" - but only after I custom add legs to them! Prior to that they are a dwarfy 31". I like a short stature on MCM pieces, but on the chunky 70s dressers I find they look way better with extra height. Personal preference I suppose.
But obviously this amazon didn't need extra height because she was already so tall! I went to pick her up and realized there was a very good chance she wouldn't fit in the Mazda 3, the gentleman enquired where I live, and by sheer good fortune he was heading to my very street later that same afternoon for a birthday party! Pretty coincidental in a city of 500,000 people! So he actually brought her to me. Very kind.
The least fun part was the sanding. Sanding French provincial furniture is the most labor intensive out of all furniture. So many god darn curves and bevels and lips and ledges. Urgh. It took about two hours to sand her down, vacuum and wipe her clean.
Next step was to prime her up with some tinted primer. Two coats and a bunch of dry time later I was ready to paint.= (aka the fun part). Oh, and the hardware was giving a dose of Rub-n-Buff in antique gold.
I used a cobalt colour I love, but I also mixed in some navy blue and black tint to achieve a more navy colour. I painted on about three or four coats in a satin finish. It turned out really nice, but it was missing that 'pow' sheen that I get when I use wipe on poly. The problem is, the last time I used WOP I had such a hard time getting an even finish on the top that I ended up doing WAY too many coats. I just wasn't mentally or physically ready to go through that again so soon. Still licking the wounds and all...
I remembered reading in a wood working forum that someone found that tung oil finish gave a less streaky result than WOP. I just happened to have a can on the shelf in the basement so I thought Id give it a whirl. I used an old rag to wipe it on, and then I used a second rag to virtually wipe it all back off, just leaving a tiny hint of the product, but enough to give me the subtle sheen that I wanted. It took quite a long time to fully dry (despite me wiping almost all of the product back off), but in the end it produced a more high-end result than if I had just left the paint un-topcoated.
Anyways, I am really happy and I think I will try this technique on another piece in the future. But for now I would recommend it, particularly on a darkly painted piece of furniture as tung oil finish will amber over time (so DON"T use it on a light coloured piece).